The Manitoba Camping Association (MCA) was established in 1937. "Specializing in organized childrens and family camps since 1937" best summarizes the history and purpose of the MCA. Each year, approximately 19,000 children & youth attend an Accredited Manitoba Summer Camp.
Since 1937, the MCA has grown in membership and has been involved in a range of activities that support organized camping. Some of these activities include:
- Promotion of organized camping as an educational and recreational experience that contributes to personal enrichment.
- Acting as the coordinating body for organized camping in Manitoba.
- Development and encouragement of standards for organized camping in Manitoba.
- Studying, interpreting and communicating knowledge of regulations and developments of concern to organized camping.
- Representation of member camps and organizations to government agencies and to the public.
- Distant of the Winnipeg Free Press Sunshine Fund (since 1979), enabling financially disadvantaged children to attend accredited summer camps.